If you do, let me share with you some facts.
Individuals and businesses that take the time to strategically think and plan achieve higher:
• Return on Energy, Assets and Investment.
• Employee Morale.
In addition, they are more:
• Fun to work in.
• Fulfilling to work in.
THEY ARE LESS LIKELY TO FAIL.
MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED AND SUSTAIN.
Thomas Canon put it well when he said:
‘Of all the contrasts between the successful and the unsuccessful businesses, or between the leader and the follower, the single most differentiating
factor is strategy’.
Why then if strategy is the apparent panacea to all our business ailments do so few actively engage in it? Why is it that less than 3% of people in business have a living, working strategic plan?
REASONS PEOPLE FAIL TO THINK, PLAN AND WORK STRATEGICALLY.
1. TOO THEORETICAL.
2. TOO COMPLEX.
3. TOO TIME CONSUMING.
4. TOO BUSY.
5. TOO LAZY – TOO LITTLE SMACHT.
It doesn’t have to be this way.
What if I was to present you with a simple two page document that asks the core essential questions of impactful and practical strategy?
If you were to apply just two hours of SMACHT to complete that template, you would meet with enormous success in 2013.
My formula for personal and corporate productivity was, and still is:
P + O = M
PREPARATION + OPPORTUNITY = MIRACLES
Miracles happen every day. In fact, we live in a time of unprecedented miracles. The last few years have seen more miracles in technology, science and psychology than for centuries before.
Opportunities abound now more than at any other time of our existence. You now can connect with 3.5 billion people, for as little as 20 cents, on your mobile phone, from the comfort of your own home.
The question is, are you prepared to capitalise on those opportunities that most certainly can create miracles in your life? The following twelve questions will go a considerable distance to doing that.
Can you afford not to answer the following Strategic Questions (SQ)s?
1. What were your victories in 2012?
2. What were your failures in 2012?
3. What are your 3 unique strengths?
4. What are your 3 biggest recurring weaknesses?
5. What are your 3 biggest opportunities?
6. What are the biggest threats to your business?
7. What opportunities abound to sell more of your existing products/services to your existing customers? (Penetration)
8. What opportunities abound to sell more of your existing products/services to new customers? (Market Development)
9. What opportunities abound to sell new products/services? (Product/Service Development)
10. What opportunities abound to do something completely different in 2013? (Diversification)
11. What’s your SHAG – SMACHT HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOAL?
12. Where are you now in relation to that SHAG?
13. What are the Rules of the Game you will have to play by to achieve your SHAG?
14. What quick wins can you expect?
15. What actions will you take each month to drive your SHAG to completion?
Avoid like the plague the temptation to say ‘I know the answers to these questions’. It’s the process of planning – with your team, your customers, your suppliers – where this exercise develops traction and velocity.
As Lincoln famously remarked ‘plans are nothing, planning is everything’.
All you need is SMACHT.
For a free two page strategic planning template email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org
PS. We are holding our Smacht Mor Business Conference on Friday 1st February 2013 in The Ardilaun Hotel, Galway. We have some fantastic speakers lined up for the event. If you would like to attend Smacht Mor send an email to email@example.com or call 091865340. We will be sending out information regarding the conference next week.