Why The Wholesale Price of Celery Has Soared Tenfold this Year!
I first heard the virtues of celery juice extolled at a SMÁCHT session many years ago. That wise and erudite herbalist and GP, Dr Dilis Clare, listed off a plethora of reasons why the humble celery herb (yes it is an herb she explained) is such a superfood.
Some of our SMÁCHT cohort were so impressed that they embarked on a celery detox for a month. The results, although by no means scientifically representative, were nonetheless mightily impressive. People lost weight, felt better and almost all reported higher energy levels.
Imagine then my surprise in Philadelphia this week when the topic de jour on everyone’s lips was none other than celery juice. Sylvester Stallone is still tantamount to God Almighty in the city of Brotherly Love. The fact that he swears by celery juice is one reason why the wholesale price has soared tenfold already this year and many supermarkets report difficulty in keeping it stocked.
Another reason is a bestselling book by Anthony William called ‘Celery Juice. The Most Powerful Medicine of Our Time.’ He makes a strong claim that celery juice, when consumed in the right way, is a powerful and miraculous healing remedy and people are noticing the benefits it provides, such as clearer skin, improved digestion, less bloating, sustained energy, better mental clarity, weight loss, and stable moods, just to name a few.
In addition, people are healing from all kinds of acute and chronic illnesses, including Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, eczema, psoriasis, acne, SIBO, constipation, chronic fatigue syndrome, blood sugar issues, migraines, acid reflux, high blood pressure, addictions, adrenal issues, gout, allergies.
I do recall Dílis saying that celery contains impressive amounts of vitamin C and K, as well as folate and potassium, and studies show that celery may help to fight against cancer and liver disease, reduce inflammation (especially for brain-related diseases) and boost cardiovascular health.
Furthermore Celery contains flavonoids (powerful phytonutrients with antioxidant properties) that are abundant in numerous plants. With only 7 calories, 1/2 gram of fiber and less than 1 gram of sugar per rib, celery can also be a smart addition to any weigh loss plan.
7 Powerful Health Benefit Claims of Celery Juice.
1. YOUR GUT. Gut health is such a hot topic right now… and for good reason! Your gut is connected to so many different aspects of your health, from your mood to your risk of disease. Celery juice helps those with low hydrochloric acid (HCL) levels and other related digestive issues.
HCL – otherwise known as stomach acid – helps to break down the foods you eat, specifically proteins. But when levels of HCL are low – which can happen if you’re autoimmune system is low or are chronically stressed – you’ll experience some uncomfortable symptoms like indigestion, acid reflux and even IBS.
Celery contains some important minerals and mineral salts that can help boost digestion, absorption and utilization of the food you eat for the remainder of the day. Plus, when consumed regularly, celery juice can help to gradually increase and restore your stomach’s HCL levels.
The benefits of celery span way beyond just the gut. From the thyroid to the liver, celery can change your health for the better. Other reasons to drink celery juice:
2. THYROID CLEANSING: According to Anthony William, the mineral salts in celery help to fight and cleanse the body of the Epstein-Barr virus, particularly in the thyroid. Celery can also help to boost production of important thyroid hormones in those with hypothyroidism.
3. LIVER DETOXIFICATION: Celery’s detoxifying properties work to remove bad bacteria, fungi, mold, viruses and other toxins from the liver; the phytonutrients found in the green stalks also can have a protective effect.
4. HEART HEALTHY: Studies have shown that celery extract consumption can help to prevent stroke, lower blood pressure, and reduce plaque in arteries.
5. NERVOUS SYSTEM SUPPORT: Celery is a powerhouse for supporting the nervous system. It has a calming effect on the nervous system because of its detoxify properties. It also provides support through its ability to act as a blood purifier.
6. ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Celery contains luteolin, a potent flavonoid, that can act as an antioxidant and calm inflammation.
7. SLEEP LIKE A BABY. Apparently celery contains magnesium which gently enables you to get a great nights sleep.
We often say in SMÁCHT that if it costs a little and the potential benefit is high, then just go and do it.
How To Juice Celery.
- Get a bunch of celery and trim it at both ends.
- Rinse it thoroughly in a colander.
- Cut into cubes and run it through a juicer or blender.
- Strain the liquified celery through a strainer or a nut milk bag.
- Drink immediately on an empty stomach and wait 20 to 30 minutes before eating anything else.
As I regaled you many times, having failed to sequester the points to do medicine back in 1979, I’m no medical expert.
What I do know however is that to survive and succeed and thrive in business you need supremely high levels of energy. We have always maintained in SMÁCHT that if it costs a little and the potential benefit is high, then just go and do it.
After a week of Philly cheesesteak, countless liters of 8.2 proof locally brewed IPA and numerous airport meals I’m signing up to a week of Celery Juice. I challenge you also to try the herb for a week and I welcome your views its effectiveness.
In the meantime, I’m off to Annie Nolan’s stall in the Kinvara Farmers Market before news of this blog goes viral and she ups the price of her celery to match Philadelphia rates.
PS. The reason I was in Philadelphia was to attend a Core training course on family business. It was superb and I look forward to sharing some of its learnings next week.