The Challenge:

A surgeon saws the wrong leg off a patient.

A marriage splits up.

An applicant doesn’t get a job for which they’re more than qualified for.

What went wrong?

The communication.

Someone didn’t tell someone else.

Someone didn’t listen.

Someone didn’t convey the information they thought they were conveying.

‘BAD COMMUNICATION IS AT THE ROOT OF EVERY BADLY MANAGED CRISIS, EVERY UNMET CHALLENGE, EVERY CORPORATE FAILURE, EVERY ACCIDENT, EVERY FAILED RELATIONSHIP.’

So says Terry Prone, Ireland’s best known communication specialist. 

The good news is that it doesn’t have to be this way. With the right insights, tools and strategies you can become more attractive, more charismatic and more influential.

The Secret to Magical Communication.

The secret to magical communication is that when you are with people who like you, and are like you, those same people will:

  • Give you time and attention.
  • Value you and like you.
  • Make allowances for you.
  • Focus on your strengths.
  • Willingly assist you.
  • Make themselves readily available for you.

Problems in organisations and teams arise and occur when people: 

  • Think differently.
  • Arrive at decisions differently.
  • Work at a different pace.
  • Manage time differently.
  • Handle emotions differently.
  • Deal with stress differently.

It would be fine and dandy therefore if we were all like each other. The problem is that we are not. 

Psychology throws a spanner in the works by proclaiming that universally there are four different communication styles. This implies that naturally we get on swimmingly with 25% of the human population whilst we are at odds with the remaining 75%. 

Wouldn’t it be great if we could IDENTIFY how a person wants to receive information and then MODIFY and ADAPT that message in a way that is best understood? YOU CAN!!!!.

Your Communication Tool.

It’s called iMA and is the brainchild of a wonderful man called James Knight. It’s a free online tool, a language and a worldwide community that can genuinely be a game changer in the way you communicate and ergo, get better results.

When you combine two unique elements such as hydrogen and oxygen a combination reaction occurs that produces an entirely different compound, in this case water. The same is true in psychology. When you combine two communication  elements – assertiveness and openness – you produce four separate combinations or communication styles.

From the diagram it’s clear that those with a higher red colour are both assertive and self-contained or in laypersons language ‘direct and closed.’ ‘High Yellows’ are also direct but very open. ‘High Blues are open but non-assertive. ‘High Greens’ are self-contained and non-assertive.

Simplistic and all as it sounds there are only four communication styles in the world. The first great feature of iMA is that it easily and scientifically helps you IDENTIFY your dominant communication style. Please log onto www.padraicomaille-ima.com to take a simple ten question diagnostic that will reveal your colour in less than five minutes. Remember that there is no right or wrong colour. 

What are the Characteristics of the Colours?

Having discovered your colour let me address three components for each colour.

  • Dominant Traits.
  • How Others May Perceive You.
  • Strategies to use when communicating or ‘Chatting Up’ each of the colors.

Dominant Traits of Reds.

  • Decisive.
  • Doers.
  • Single-minded.
  • Love to win.
  • Self-confident.
  • Fast paced.
  • Natural Leaders.
  • Work great alone.
  • Dominant Need is CONTROL.

Others May perceive Reds as.

  • Impatient.
  • Dictatorial.
  • Craving success at any cost.
  • Pushy.
  • Forceful.
  • Uncaring.

When Chatting Up Reds.

  • Get to the point fast.
  • Never waste their time.
  • Spell out bottom-line results.
  • Punctuality matters to them.
  • Avoid small talk and soap opera speak.

Dominant Traits of Yellows.

  • Outgoing and enthusiastic.
  • Persuasive and influential.
  • Motivational.
  • Creative.
  • Rely on Personal Charm to get what they want.
  • Always tempted to play, even when to their own detriment.
  • Eternal optimists.
  • Dream chasers.
  • Dominant Need is RECOGNITION.

Others May perceive Yellows as.

  • Disorganised.
  • Unreliable.
  • Lose interest quickly.
  • Lack follow up.
  • Manipulative.
  • Short attention span.
  • Exhibitionists.

When Chatting Up Yellows.

  • Praise them.
  • Compliment them.
  • Flatter them.
  • Ask them to share their vision and big ideas.
  • Match their high energy, pace and tonality.
  • Ask for their help.

Dominant Traits of Blues.

  • Warm.
  • Supportive.
  • Nurturing.
  • Great Team Players.
  • Emotionally Intelligent.
  • Persistent.
  • Patient and loyal.
  • Great follow through.
  • Dominant Need is STABILITY.

Others May Perceive Blues As.

  • Indecisive.
  • Submissive.
  • Risk Averse.
  • Too emotional.
  • Slow Paced.
  • Resistant to change.

When Chatting Up Blues.

  • Show real interest.
  • Make them feel special.
  • Listen and interact.
  • Provide detailed explanations.
  • Express emotions.
  • Use a gentle tone of voice.
  • Give them loads of time.

Dominant Traits of Greens.

  • Analytical.
  • Serious.
  • Controlled and disciplined.
  • Systematic.
  • Conscientious.
  • Great students and searchers.
  • Problem solvers.
  • Thrive on loads of information.
  • Dominant Need is ACCURACY.

Others May Perceive Greens As.

  • Perfectionists.
  • Nit-pickers.
  • Ask too many questions.
  • Come up with too many excuses.
  • Indecisive.
  • Slow to respond.
  • Withdraw under pressure.

When Chatting Up Greens.

  • Talk quietly and gently.
  • Get into granular detail with them.
  • Punctuality matters.
  • Avoid any and all displays of emotion.
  • Focus on facts.
  • Greens love guarantees.

Three Ways of Putting iMA to Work for You, Your Communications and Your Results.

  1. Identify your own communication style through the use of the iMA Questionnaire on www.padraicomaille-ima.com. Understanding your own communication style is invaluable to know in that it enables you to focus on what you do best and naturally. When it comes to thinking about what career, or careers, you’d like to embark on your iMA profile will be hugely helpful. It should form the template for your Curriculum Vitae or your Resume. When applying for a career position an understanding of what you’re best suited to is of immense value.

2.  Identify the communication style of your audience be that one or many. You’ve likely heard or taken one of the many excellent

 Psychometric tests that determine your inner core personality. Tests such as Belbin, DISC, Myers-Briggs and the Enneagram are great to help you ‘know thyself.’ The big advantage of iMA however is that it enables you to see yourself as others see you. 

It gives you an insight into how others see you. And, armed with that data you can begin to Identify, Modify and Adapt (iMA) your behavior to match that of your audience.

You may well ask how to identify another’s highest colour. The answer is that within two to three minutes of listening to and observing your listener you’ll very quickly become an expert at it. 

3.  Do iMA for your team. You can’t build a fire with one log and the same obtains to building a high-performing team. You cannot build a successful team with just one or even two Colour types. Diversity of Colour is critical to effective team working.

Conclusion

In his iconic song ‘Fairytale of New York’ Shane McGowan proudly proclaims that.

‘I could have been someone.’

And is promptly reminded by Kirsty McColl.

‘And so can anyone.’

In order to become someone, and stand out in a world of noise, your communication style is the singular greatest differentiator you have. Every time you communicate you are either adding value or taking up space. Ultimately what you become in life is less about changing who you are but about becoming more of who you are. 

In his office in downtown Omaha, Warren Buffett displays only one certificate of his education. It isn’t for his BA from the University of Nebraska, or his MSc from Columbia Business School. It is for completing the ‘Dale Carnegie Course in Effective Speaking, Leadership Training, and the Art of Winning Friends and Influencing People’, dated January 23 1952.

That man knows a good thing when he sees it! Do you?

*********************************************************

PS. YOU SPEND SEVEN OUT OF EVERY TEN WAKING MINUTES COMMUNICATING. HOW GOOD ARE YOU AT IT? 

According to the Harvard Study of Communications you spend seven out of every ten waking minutes communicating. It stands to reason that it is a key success factor for you personally and professionally.

Discover the secrets to making a great first impression, standing out in a crowd and getting better results in Pádraic’s new course ‘Connect 4 Success.’ Learn how to easily identify the colour of the people you are communicating with and adapt and modify your style to connect deeply and enduringly.

Contact him at p@omaille.ie or 087-2647817